- Wooster High School
Wooster 2018-2019 School Year Accomplishments
COLT 2018-2019 Accomplishments
- Wooster ranked #22 in the state, and #3,097 in the nation by the US News & World Report for 2019.
- Twenty-eight Wooster seniors completed the prestigious IB diploma programme (DP) for the Class of 2018; Seven completed the prestigious IB Career-related Programme (CP).
- Wooster’s class of 2018 graduation rate was 84%. Wooster’s projected graduation for the class of 2019 is 86%.
- Wooster’s class of 2019 is benefiting from the GEAR UP grant & services—GEAR UP stands for “Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.”
- Approximately 43% of Wooster’s Class of 2019 will earn advanced & honors diplomas.
- JAG selected two students to compete in the public speaking competition at the NSLA conference in Washington D.C.! Julian Saldana-Barajas and Bianey Ortiz! JAG took 1st Place in the Social Media challenge at the JAG State Career Development Conference in Las Vegas.
- Wooster Leadership students traveled to Las Vegas for the State Leadership Conference. They earned: Wild West Award (Commitment to School and Community Service), Silver Star Award (This is the highest honor for leadership, commitment to school and community service as well as the NASC), upcoming Senior
- Julian Saldana Barajas was voted as Western Representative for 2019-2020! Wooster will be hosting the 2019-2020 Western Regionals at Wooster High School in November because of this! Teacher Stephanie Snell, was nominated by the students for Advisor of the Year
- Wooster’s speech and debate team earned significant recognition from the National Speech & Debate Association (NSDA). Wooster ranked in the top 20% of schools nationwide and earned membership in the NSDA’s prestigious 100 club. The team will be sending two students to the national tournament: Hanna Branch (Original Oratory) and Nick Chapman (Worlds School Debate). Additionally, Nick Chapman was named Academic All-American for the National speech and Debate Association. This award recognizes academic rigor, requiring a 3.75 or better GPA, and competitive success with at least 750 merit points, as well as demonstrating outstanding character and leadership. Of the 141,000 debate members, fewer than 1,000 receive this award.
- Sophomore Lily Landt is the 2018 NIAA Northern Region Girls’ Golf Champion. She also placed 13th at State.
- Wendy’s Heisman 2019 school winners: AJ Campanaro & Erin Schwalbe!
- Wooster Colt & competitive rock climber, Emma Palmer, competed and finished 28th place at in the Rock Climbing World Adult Championships in October 2018, in Xiamen, China.
- Wooster’s Early Childhood Center was nominated for the Kristine Nagy-Johnson Award for their outstanding contribution preventing child abuse and neglect!
- Honor Band students: Alaina Cronick, Javier Correa, Caitlyn Hoon, Creighton Williams, Nathan Jones, Jonathan Canfield, and Logan Sternberg.
- Honor Jazz students: Caitlyn Hoon, Aditya Krishnamoorthy, and Jonathan Canfield.
- Reno Jazz Youth Orchestra students: Caitlyn Hoon, Giovanni Calderoni, AJ Campanaro, Aditya Krishnamoorthy, Jonathan Canfield, and Hannah Branch.
- Colt Battalion earned Honor Unit with Distinction for 2019 during their JPA visit. Cadet Jesamyn Velasco won Junior leader of the semester, and Junior Leader of the Year for the WCSD JROTC program. Cadet Alex Chagolla won Cadet of the Semester and Cadet of the Year for the WCSD JROTC program.
- Wooster Football returned to the 4A this season, and held their own. We’re looking to get better and improve our performance.
- Both boys’ and girls’ ski teams finished state in the top 5.
- Congrats to Mackenna Miller who placed 6th in the low hurdles event at the state track and field competition.
- Colt Rifle Team went to state and then to nationals in Ohio. Senior Megan Pecson placed 12/143 in the Army category and 54/686 overall.
- Seven Skills USA Photography Silver Medalists will compete at the National Skills USA Competition this summer in Louisville, Kentucky. Congrats to Ana Mikaela Veluz, Wyatt Shaw, Sam Banal, Morgan Langdon, Jasdeep Jhattu, Raymond Martinez, and Taylor Renfroe.
- Ten Wooster thespians qualified to compete at the International Thespian Festival in June. Congrats to Evan Infantino, Muskan Kapila, Parker Gibbons, Daniela Vasquez, Holiday O’Bryan, Steven Heinrich, Kai Pruyn, Anya Mikesell, Catherine Acedillo, and Kavin Srikeerthi.
- Yearbook Advisor Gary Baer and the 2019 Pegasus was awarded the Gallery of Excellence award for our theme and cover. The book will be shipped out across the country to be used as examples and idea generators to ignite the creativity in other yearbook staffs. This book was picked by Walsworth Publishing due to the innovation, creativity, and commitment to excellence that has been demonstrated in the book and the classroom.